Fruits and Your Health
My champion fruits are apple, pomegranate, pineapple, papaya (paw paw), guava, apple, figs, mango, bananas, citrus [oranges, lemons, grape fruit, etc.] berries and avocados.
Papaya is a tropical plant that fruits almost year round. The plant is easy to grow and fruits in less than one year. Depending on the variety, they grow from 5ft to around 50ft with numerous fruits on them; ripening one or more at a time, few days apart. If allowed to turn yellowish-red on the tree it has a sweet succulent taste. They are nature’s store of unadulterated antioxidants and other nutrients; these include vitamins A, B, C, E, flavonoids, pantothenic acid, folate and such minerals as magnesium, potassium, the enzyme papain (that aids in digestion) and finally fiber for the colon.
Papaya is one of nature’s most wonderful fruits. It is good for expelling worms, good for cure of coughs originating from the lungs, pulmonary ailments, and diseases of the colon, liver, heart and blood vessels.
(a) Papaya has digestive enzymes of which the most known is papain which helps improve the digestion of protein; helps reduce inflammatory issues like arthritis and asthma.
(b) Papaya is great in maintaining and improving human immune system.
(c) Smoking is injurious to the health of the smoker and to anyone around the smoke of tobacco and tobacco products. The main problem is that a substance in tobacco smoke which gives it its carcinogenic character causes vitamin A deficiency. Regular papaya consumption would restore the lost vitamin A and reduce the cancer risk.
(d) The most important action of papaya is in the area of cardiovascular issues. It contains the major natural antioxidants; Vitamins A, C, E. These antioxidants prevent the oxidation of cholesterol which is the main component of plaque that accumulate in the blood vessel walls. When cracked and broken off eventually cause blockage, somewhere in the vessels, causing strokes or heart attacks. This can only occur if the cholesterol is oxidized, because it is only in this oxidized state that cholesterol can bind to the walls of the blood vessels; narrowing the passage, reducing blood flow and creating increased pressure on blood vessel walls. This eventually causes the hardened plaque to crack and flow in the blood stream until it anchors somewhere or creates a sudden hazard called heart attack or stroke.
(e) Papaya contains fiber which is capable of attaching to the toxins (cancer causers) in the colon and prevent them from affecting cells of the clean, healthy colon. This helps in the prevention of cancer, heart disease, heart attacks and strokes. It is important to remember that papaya contains other mineral substances which help the colon.
Papaya is one plant that bears fruits that help man fight major human killers. These killers include, complication arising from smoking, cancer, heart disease, and stroke; they kill without much warning. There are also factors that fuel these killers such as the following: (a) Poor diet (b) Inactivity (sedimentary lifestyle) and (c) Obesity. All these affect your immunity and PH balance.
Papaya is my choice of most important fruit for man. It is easy to grow anywhere, fruits early, affordable, and full of enzymes, vitamins and minerals. This fruit is a must for all especially in developing countries where people cannot afford the cost of synthetic vitamins, enzymes and minerals. Papaya fruit, fresh from the tree is natural and good. Eat it daily, but better 3 times daily.
(f) Papaya is very good for constipation, and banana addition to the diet is of great help.
Citrus fruits include, grapefruits, oranges, lemons, limes. Each group has many varieties.
It is good for the health of the heart. Its flavonoids and fiber (when eaten with the pulp), helps reduce LDL (bad one) and improves on the HDL (the good one), cholesterols as well as triglycerides.
Contains substances that prevent diseases such as brain issues, cancer, cardiac issues, kidneys and cold matters, to name a few.
They are high in antioxidants, B1 and B9, vitamin C, beta-carotene, fiber and potassium also flavonoids.
They help reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer.
Figs grow in the Middle East, California, Arizona and some other parts of the world like Greece and Turkey and coming up in Nigeria. They are the size of guava trees or dwarf citrus plant. The reason I recommend this plant is for its nutritional and health values. Figs are high in fiber, minerals and natural/simple sugars. They contain adequate levels of calcium, magnesium, Iron, copper, potassium, manganese, thiamin, riboflavin, protein and some carbohydrate. Dried figs contain about 230-250mg of calcium per 100g. They are more popular as dried fruits than fresh, because they easily deteriorate and need to be refrigerated or covered up in a cool place. They could be eaten fresh if fully ripe. Birds attack them on the trees once they notice any sign of getting ripe, so they need to be harvested before the birds get to them.
Figs are very good for healthy bowel activities, because of its fiber content. They help balance the body pH because they are highly alkaline. Minerals that help regulate blood pressure include magnesium and potassium. These are found in good amounts in figs and should be consumed moderately daily. It prevents and aids in constipation. It helps in the control, normalizing and maintaining of a healthy blood pressure. Figs help keep people mentally and physically fit and active. Consuming figs help prevent premature aging and wrinkles. It cleanses the gut and prevents bad breath. It is free of cholesterol, sodium and fats. It is often applied on the skin to get rid of skin abscess. It has anti-bacterial qualities and very helpful for cough, colds and respiratory tract infections. It helps in the prevention of colon and breast cancer because of the fiber content. It is good to be eaten when recovering from illness. It also improves headaches, stomach problems and arthritis. Figs must be consumed in moderation because it has laxative effects.
The guava plant is mostly grown in the tropical climates of the world. They are of pink, red and white colors on the inside. Generally they are green or yellowish on the outside. People grow, eat and sell them; but not many have thought about the health benefits of this disease combating fruit. It contains several minerals, vitamins and other health enhancing materials and factors that include:
- It is very high in potassium that is good for hypertension.
- It contains calcium, copper, iron, manganese, magnesium, phosphorous, sodium, zinc and the trace element selenium.
- It contains vitamins A, B, C and E. These are antioxidants that help fight free radicals which are one of factors that cause cancer.
- It contains niacin, folic acid, thiamin, panthothenic acid and riboflavin. Some of these are B vitamins.
- It contains little fatty acids, calories, water, carbohydrate, ash and fiber.
Guava is a total package for good health. It is a must have in your daily diet. The nutritional content makes it a fruit to add in the treatment of the following diseases and in the maintenance of good health.
- It helps to prevent colon cancer, prostate cancer and good for prostate health.
- It helps in the control and treatment of hypertension. And helpful for diabetes and cholesterol.
- It helps the skin and complexion over time and improves on the aging process.
- It is good for constipation, diarrhea and dysentery.
- Also for its high content of vitamin C, it is good for the health of the eyes, lungs and heart.
- It is a good stool softener and detoxifier because of the high fiber content.
Health benefits of avocados include the following:
- It protects and reduces cardiovascular diseases.
- It is a good natural anti-oxidant.
- It helps improve digestive issues.
- It improves the body’s carotenoids absorption capacity.
- Improves good cholesterol [HDL] and lowers the bad [LDL].
- Used in place of butter or fat, t is monounsaturated fat.
- Good for skin disorders and used in beauty products.
- Helps improve sexual and circulatory issues.
- Potassium content is high so helps normalize blood pressure.
- Contains little or no sodium so reduces risk of hypertension.
- Contains Oleic acid that reduces blood cholesterol levels.
- Has preventive toxins against prostate and breast cancer.
- It is a good source of several essential minerals that include calcium, potassium, vitamins C, E and K, copper, folic acid, fiber and almost sodium free.
It is important to remember that avocados do not get ripe on the trees. They must be harvested off the tree to ripen. Nature has a way of preserving this beautiful fruit till it is ready for consumption on the tree. This greenish to purplish fruit is light green to light yellow on the inside with the seed in the middle. Once cut open it is best to use it up before it changes color to dark brown and no longer edible. It is difficult to store.
Pineapple contains bromelain which is an enzyme that is of great benefit to man. Fresh pine apples are loaded with protein digesting substances and they also contain Sulphur. They are juicy, sweet and found mainly in tropical climate. When eaten before meals, it awakens the appetite and prepares the digestive system to accept food. It has some of the following benefits:
- It is high in vitamin C, which is an antioxidant and helps protect the body against free radicals. These free radicals if unchecked, may lead to health issues that include diabetes, heart disease. Osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, colon cancer etc. People who are diabetic need to balance their diet because pineapple is high in carbohydrate.
- Vitamin C in pineapple aids in combating the common cold and helps maintain a good immune system.
- It is a good energy booster because of its high content of manganese and thiamine (B1).
- Helps maintain good eye health especially in macular degeneration that affects people as they grow older.
- Pineapple stems are good for certain types of cancer, such as colon, breast, lung and skin.
- It also contains some B vitamins and copper.
The mango is a fruit tree found in many warm climates but plenteous in the tropical climates of the world. There several varieties and they come in several shapes and sizes. They come yellow, orange or remain green when ripe. They have several health benefits that include:
- Mangoes are rich in vitamins A, C, E, K and selenium which help against heart disease.
- They are good for digestive problems, cholesterol issues, piles or hemorrhoids.
- They have anti-inflammatory qualities that help in arthritis, asthma and painful conditions.
- They contain powerful antioxidants, helpful preventing and fighting diseases like cancer.
- They are high in dietary fiber that help in good bowel movement.
- It contains phosphorous, magnesium and potassium that decrease and prevent hypertension.
They are high in antioxidants, flavonoids, as well as vitamins B, C, E and K. They contain potassium
The peelings, stem are root are considered poisonous if eaten in quantity. So it is better not to consume the peelings, stem and root. If taken daily or often it has anti-inflammatory effects. It also protects against diabetes and overweight or obesity. It is helpful in digestive problems and has fiber that is good for bowel movement.
This fruit lower blood pressure over time. So if you are suffering from low blood pressure or on hypertension medications, watch your readings. Also be sure you are not allergic to it because it could be a problem, causing, and difficulty in breathing, swelling, itching, headache or running nose.
They are rich in vitamins and minerals that are good for cardiovascular issues and cancer. Its juice is good in the destruction of prostate cancer cells, so make it part of your daily intake if you are a man. It could be a preventive measure against prostate cancer development. Try taking it fresh not processed to get all the benefits. It is also good for hair growth and is considered an anti-aging fruit because of its nutritional contents. Also helps in cases of arthritis. Always take them in the morning to get you energized. Eat the seed along with the flesh.
Tomatoes are considered vegetables but are actually fruits. They are generally green but red when ripe and are grown all over the world. They have numerous health benefits that include the following:
- It helps reduce the risk of cancers of the colon, rectum, pancreas, prostate, inflammations, cardiovascular diseases, cholesterol management, and much more.
- It contains a very powerful antioxidant lycopene which is an anticancer substance. Lycopene is more beneficial when the tomatoes is cooked or heated up properly; but can be eaten raw.
- It contains another antioxidant vitamin C.
- It contains different B vitamins that include niacin.
- It contains folic acid and potassium that help manage and reduce hypertension and diabetes.
- Avoid adding salt to tomatoes if you have blood clotting problems or at risk of its development.
Generally, watermelon is often considered both as a fruit and a vegetable. But here it will be considered a fruit. There different varieties and have green color on the outside, while inside is red or yellow. They weigh between 3-40Ibs. It is very juicy and full of water. Watermelon has a lot of health benefits that include the following:
It contains vitamins A, B1, B6 and C, lycopene and lots of beta-carotene which help neutralize free radicals in the body. It also makes it a good source of energy. It helps excrete ammonia from the body.
It helps in macular degeneration, a disease of the eyes in aging persons
It is anti-cancer because it is the largest source of lycopene in nature.
It helps prevent and fight prostate cancer if eaten regularly.
It has a lot of the minerals potassium, magnesium that prevent blood vessel hardening, and thereby helps in the management and control of hypertension.
It contains antioxidants that help in cases of asthma, colon and prostate cancer, heart disease and arthritis over time.
It is a good source of hydration because of the high water content.
It helps prevent erectile dysfunction.
It also contains arginine, magnesium, potassium which help in the correct functioning of insulin in the body; this lowers blood sugar in the body.
005 – Fruits and Your Health